Monday, January 25, 2010

getting myself back

So I've been meaning to do this for the last 3 weeks, but just now as I should be going to bed am I writing this very quickly.

Since high school i've gained over 50 pounds. First it was classes and homework, then it turned into busy work schedules and sitting in front of a computer for 9-11 hours a day. Somehow I let my health just slip. Yet in my minds eye, i was still the 171 pound wrestler - only the scale and mirror didn't quite tell the same story.

When we moved over here in September of 2007, we had a good run at it. I lost 35 pounds and was starting to get back in shape. Then again, between a nasty foot injury and another brutal class I took on, I managed to gain it all back.

well i tell you what world, I'm getting myself back.

I know I'll never be that 171 pound wrestler again, but I'm setting a goal and I'm going to get it. So here it is:

190 pounds.

Sometimes it helps I think to just get it out there. If more people know it sucks even worse to not follow through.

3 weeks ago Anna and I started weight watchers again. Along with that, i've set myself up a workout schedule for the week. I plan on posting it here eventually. Its not a crazy get ripped in 20 seconds kind of thing. I'm focusing on what i can do right now, and looking to improve on that.

so here's my status so far:

week 1, Jan 4: 243 pounds (ouch.)
week 2, Jan 11: 239
week 3, Jan 18: 236.6
week 4, Jan 25, today: 237 pounds.

damn it.

yah so i gained .5 pound this week, but that also included portland trip with my lack of self control getting the better of me. But here's whats different this time:

1 week is not a big deal.

I came home from work, hit the gym and lifted for the first time in over a year, then came home and took the pup for a run. if you lose a round, get back up and keep going because the rounds will be endless.

that's enough for tonight, and i'm sure it's a bit of mindless drivel, but I had to get my goals stated and in the open. I hope to keep my progress updated as a means of accountability for myself. and for the 2 people that read this, i could use the prayers and accountability to continue to get my health back.

2 comments:

anna said...

I know you can do it. I love you.

Jo Feve said...

Matthew Demetre.

I have tears in my eyes as I read your heart in these printed words and am so incredibly proud of the man you are. You CAN do this and for all the right reasons. You have incredible tenacity when you set your mind to something...just remember to seek God for balance and wisdom.

You KNOW we will pray and lift you and Anna up.

Sure love you! Mama